Beat the summer heat @ The Center
HOT WEATHER TIPS:
- Drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat, or use an umbrella for shade.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose clothing.
- Slow down - rest in the shade or a cool place when possible.
- NEVER leave a child, elderly, disabled person, or animal alone in a vehicle.
- Keep shaded areas with fresh water for outdoor animals.
- Turn on your air conditioner.
- Check on friends and neighbors who are elderly, have medical conditions, or are at higher risk for problems when it is very hot.
- If you do not have an air conditioner, use a fan, make sure your windows are open, and visit a cool center.
- Take a cool shower or bath
- When it is hotter than 90°, visit a friend that has air conditioning in their home or a cool place like a mall, a library or a senior center.
You are also at risk if you have certain medical conditions, take medication for high blood pressure, have a mental health condition, have been using drugs or alcohol, or have a previous heat-related illness.
The Center will provide board games, cards, movies, snacks and water.
Susan is CEO and President of Sheridan In-Home Care, an award-winning brand in Greater Los Angeles and Palm Springs that provides non-medical in-home care for seniors. Susan creates concierge services to expand the scope of offerings to include visiting professionals such as hygienists, nurses, therapists, attorneys, and more to people in their homes. Susan also founded Nurse At Your Door, an on demand concierge nursing company, which has grown to over 100 nurses. She sits on the board of Cancer Support Community and is a licensed private pilot. She has a young daughter named Paloma with her wife Lindsay. Susan joined The Center board at the start of 2018.
We provide care and support to those affected
The Alzheimer’s Association works on a global, national and local level to provide care and support for all those affected by Alzheimer’s and other dementias. We are here to help.
- We have local chapters across the nation, providing services within each community. Find a chapter near you.
- Our professionally staffed 24/7 Helpline (1.800.272.3900) offers information and advice to more than 300,000 callers each year and provides translation services in more than 200 languages.
- We host face-to-face support groups and educational sessions in communities nationwide.
- We connect people across the globe through our online message boards, ALZConnected®. Our online community is ready to answer your questions and give you support.
- We provide caregivers and families with comprehensive online resources and information through our Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregiver Center, which features sections on early-stage, middle-stage and late-stage caregiving.
- Our free online tool, Alzheimer's Navigator®, helps those facing the disease to determine their needs and develop an action plan, and our online Community Resource Finder is a comprehensive database of programs and service, housing and care services, and legal experts.
- We house the Alzheimer's Association Green-Field Library, the nation's foremost library and resource center devoted to increasing knowledge about Alzheimer's disease and related dementias.
- Our safety service, MedicAlert® + Alzheimer’s Association Safe Return®, is a 24-hour nationwide emergency response service for individuals with Alzheimer's or a related dementia who wander or have a medical emergency.
Alex Del Rosario, MD
Testosterone and Hormones: Safeguards and Treatment Options
Please join Alex Del Rosario, MD for a discussion regarding the use of testosterone and hormone replacement therapies for an older population. While testosterone therapy can boost muscle mass, mental focus, and energy levels, testosterone also has potential risks that are important to be informed about. In addition to the lecture, there will be time for questions and answers.
Joy Jones, MD
Family Medicine Associate Physician
Is Stress Killing Your Desires?
Do you often feel overwhelmed with life? Do you toss and turn when you sleep? Are you gaining weight you cannot seem to lose? Are life's stresses putting a damper on your libido? Or do feel fatigued and blah? Believe it or not, stress could be an underlying cause of all of these symptoms. The health benefits of stress management are long reaching. Dr. Joy (Dr. Joy Jones-Harris) will be sharing some functional medicine tips on things you can do to rest better, and have an improved sense of well-being. You will leave enlightened, happy and relaxed.
Jonathan Bechard, MD
Demystifying the HPV Virus and Preventing Cancer
Please join Jonathan Bechard, MD for a discussion to help demystify the HPV virus and how to use preventative care to help prevent cancer. Find out what you can do to help decrease your chances of getting HPV and the different types of cancer linked to it. You will get answers to common questions about HPV, HPV infection, and how HPV testing is used.
Michael Hughes, MD
PrEP: Frequently Asked Questions and Discussion
We believe it’s good to talk honestly and openly about sex. It’s just one key to establishing a good relationship with your medical provider and with your partner(s). Please join Michael Hughes, MD to get upfront answers to the most common questions regarding Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), and the answers to all the questions that patients are asking or are afraid to ask.
Jon Colbert, NP
NEW Sexual Health Clinic at Eisenhower
Family Nurse Practitioner
Please join Jon Colbert, NP as he presents Eisenhower's NEW 'Walk-In' Sexual Health Clinic in the Rimrock Center. We will discuss the clinic's comprehensive healthcare services, and how you can quickly access the care, information, and support for: STD Testing & Treatment, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), HIV Testing, Hepatitis C Testing, HPV related anal cancer screening.
Jonathan Bechard, MD
50 Shades: Sexual Health in a Fetish World
Please join Jonathan Bechard, MD, for a sex-positive discussion around common medical risks associated with fetish play, how to avoid them, how to talk about them with your doctor, and how to bring a health-positive voice to your desires when you’re playing.
Vitalitas Home Care Referral Agency Profile – The Center of Palm Springs
At Vitalitas Home Care Referral Agency, we are committed to affordable, consumer-directed care and believe clients and their family members have the right to determine the services needed and should have the freedom to choose the care provider they feel is best suited to provide support. We also believe truly inspired care professionals always strive for excellence and that it’s part of their nature to apply their talents toward serving others.
The Professional Personal Care Attendants we refer provide in-home, non-medical companionship services to elderly clients, as well as to adult clients with an illness, injury, or disability who require assistance with self-care. Each member of our referral registry has completed comprehensive interviews & assessments, passed criminal background, DMV & TB screenings, hold current registrations & certifications, and have had employment eligibility authorized through E-Verify (a service of the Department of Homeland Security & the Social Security Administration).
The companionship services provided by referred Personal Care Attendants can include:
The Provision of Fellowship – engaging the client in social, physical, and mental activities, such as conversation, reading, games, and crafts, as well as, accompanying the client on walks, on errands, to appointments, or to social events.
The Provision of Protection – remaining present with the client in his or her home, or accompanying the client when outside the home, as well as, monitoring the client’s safety and well-being.
The Provision of Care – assisting the client with Activities of Daily Living such as dressing, grooming, feeding, bathing, toileting, and transferring; and assisting with Instrumental Activities of Daily Living that enable the client to live independently at home, such as meal preparation, driving, light housework, managing finances, remembering to take medication, and arranging medical care.
What further distinguishes Vitalitas is the caliber of the Professional PCAs we refer. Through our signature screening & interviewing process, Vitalitas digs deep into each registry applicant’s talents, motivators, values, and vision. Only those applicants who satisfy all the criteria, demonstrate a commitment to delivering exceptional care, as well as radiate genuine passion for their work are converted to active registry status and subsequently referred to clients for further review and consideration.
Whether you’re a client requiring assistance with self-care so you can continue to live independently or you’re a Personal Care Attendant seeking new professional opportunities, we’re committed to helping you find an optimal match – one focused on life and vitality, that fosters trust and results in a fulfilling alliance.
Vitalitas Home Care Referral Agency is a referral agency as defined by and operating in accordance with the requirements set forth in the California Civil Code.
Proud members of The California Coalition of Domestic Referral Agencies, Inc.
Contour Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery Center
Medical and Cosmetic Dermatology
The Best of Both Worlds
Under the direction of Dr. Timothy Jochen, a board-certified dermatologist with more than 15 years of experience, Contour Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery Center offers a comprehensive array of medical and cosmetic dermatology. The mission of Contour Dermatology is: To help cure skin diseases and to help people look and feel their best—taking full advantage of all the youth-renewing devices and products available in modern cosmetic dermatology today.
On the medical side, the practice treats skin conditions such as acne, eczema, fungal infections, melasma, psoriasis, rosacea, skin cancer and cysts among others. Having performed thousands of successful Mohs procedures, Dr. Jochen is a specialist in Mohs micrographic surgery— the most esthetic and effective method for removal of skin cancer.
Cosmetic procedures range from non-invasive treatments such as chemical peels, facial fillers and Botox to one of the largest selections of cosmetic lasers in the nation along with other state-of-the-art technology and surgical procedures such as eyelid surgery and the mini facelift. For body contouring, Contour Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery Center offers CoolSculpting for non-surgical fat reduction, tumescent liposuction and lasers such as the VelaShape III to reduce inches and cellulite. Dr. Jochen also is an expert in hair restoration and the latest hair transplantation procedures.
Dr. Jochen also is an associate professor at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles where he has been named teacher of the year multiple times. He is a Castle Connolly Top Doctor as voted by his peers.
Having healthy skin is as much an art as it is a science. Contour Dermatology is committed to offering the best of both worlds.
Contour Dermatology has two offices in Rancho Mirage and Palm Springs and a La Quinta clinic will be opening in 2017. For more information, call (760) 423-4000 or visit www.contourderm.com
# # #
Home to the Coachella Valley’s only designated trauma center and only neonatal intensive care unit, Desert Regional has unique offerings that are critical to the well-being of the citizens in our region of Southern California.
You have our assurance that Desert Regional Medical Center is committed to offering high quality, advanced services in a compassionate environment. Some of the services we offer include:
Advanced stroke treatment. In 2012, Desert Regional added some of the latest medical imaging technology to create a neuro-angiography suite where interventional neurologists can thread tiny catheters into the blood vessels of the brain to remove clots and offer stroke patients a better chance at recovery.
A dedicated unit for joint and spine procedures. In September of 2012, we were proud to celebrate the first anniversary of our Joint & Spine Pavilion, where patients are able to recover from joint and spine procedures in a comfortable environment, surrounded by staff members who are specially trained in the best ways to get a person back to a more active lifestyle.
Regional, multidisciplinary care for cancer and orthopedics. Desert Regional offers multidisciplinary health care at its Comprehensive Cancer Center and its Institute of Clinical Orthopedics and Neurosciences (ICON). Both programs now have a second location at 47647 Caleo Bay in La Quinta to offer patients more convenient access to these services. Desert Regional Medical Center is also involved in 10 clinical trials.
Honors the legacy of Ms. Spearman by providing funds to organizations and individuals to help improve the lives of the needy and less fortunate in our community. The mandate of the foundation remains consistent with Ms. Spearman’s kind and loving vision, giving to the types of organizations she supported with special emphasis in the fields of education, medical research, cultural arts and assisting the impoverished and disabled.
Who We Are
Desert AIDS Project has earned a national reputation as one of the most comprehensive HIV/AIDS services providers in the U.S. We are one of only a handful of agencies operating an on-site medical clinic, a full range of client support services, and a comprehensive HIV education and prevention program, including free and confidential HIV testing.
Our Vision for the Future
Until there's a cure, the vision of Desert AIDS Project is of healthy individuals, families, and communities despite the existence of HIV.
To bring this vision to life, the mission of Desert AIDS Project is to enhance health and well-being.
Desert AIDS Project believes:
- Everyone has a right to decent quality of life
- Everyone is worthy of respect and equal consideration
- All efforts to fulfill our mission have the ultimate aim of being useful in improving people's lives, particularly the lives of those most in need.
- Fairness demands that everyone affected by an issue should have the opportunity for either direct participation or representation in planning, implementing, and evaluating the work conducted by Desert AIDS Project
- Bias – because of race, religion, class, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, ethnic background, disability, etc. – has no place Desert AIDS Project
- Our work is not about the power or turf, but about the public good
- We will be excited by what we do, by the challenges we face and the opportunities we create
- We will surround ourselves with people dedicated to assisting us in achieving our mission and upholding our principles
- The diversity of our people, their skills, and experience is one of our agency's greatest assets. We are committed to leveraging this asset as a source of strength
- We will always listen first, and then act with openness, honesty, and integrity so that our relationships flourish
- We will provide effective, accessible, and responsive services, and we commit to evaluating our effort so that changes can be made when it is in the best interest of those we serve
- We will set demanding targets and make tough decisions and take considered risks to achieve them, and pursue partnership to obtain resources that enable us to do so
- We will provide our team with skilled management and quality training opportunities
- We will commit ourselves to excellence to ensure that D.A.P. is the provider of choice, employer of choice, and investment of choice in the communities we serve
- We will embrace change to positively improve services, outcomes, and the community while remaining true to our mission