The LGBT Community Center of the Desert (“The Center”) is pleased to offer SAGEWorks. SAGEWorks is a course for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender older adults. People of all ages may apply, but applicants 40 and older who are Center members will be given preference. This seven week course is designed to provide in-depth instruction on how to increase your competitive edge in the job market. The course will cover job skills training, particularly software proficiency, in addition to resume writing, interviewing, and job search strategies.
Here’s the vital information:
- Applications are available at The Center, via email and on our web site. Students must apply and be invited to attend, due to space limitations. Class administrators will select the students whose needs are the best match for the structure of the program.
- Applications may be submitted at any time. Application deadline for the next session is Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013.
- The Center will enroll 8 students in the course and choose 2 alternates.
- The course is intended for people who really need it, will fully participate and are serious about applying themselves.
The next session begins on Monday, Jan. 6, 2014. Course times are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 4:00 - 6:00pm. There may be two special presentations for the entire community announced during the term of the class, which are also required. Students must fully commit to the entire schedule.
- The classes will be staffed by a computer instructor, professional recruiters and placement specialists, and regional employers – offering participants a variety exposure to important resources.
- This program is funded nationally by the Walmart Foundation. SAGEWorks is also offered in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Denver and South Florida.
$50.00 for members
$100 for non-members. Membership rates begin at $25.00 annually.
A limited number of scholarships are available to waive fees in cases of financial hardship.
“Wonderful news! I just got a job fixing computers, phones and Point of Sale machines. I start work Monday, July 2nd and I can't wait!
This would never have happened if I weren't in SAGEWorks class and had the opportunity to sharpen my skill sets. The things we learned in class made this happen for me. I was so confident during my 3 'regular' interviews that I didn't even sweat. I kept thinking ‘No matter what happens with this job, I'll learn to be a better interviewee’. I also told myself that getting this job was not life or death. Another thing - I arrived early for each interview, which calmed my nerves and made me seem confident. I was careful to only answer the questions that were asked like we learned in SAGEWorks - which was not all that easy at times.
Next time you interview, walk in there like you own that job and it is their mistake if they pick another candidate.” H.M., participant in March 2012 SAGEWorks program.